top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

The idea of music therapy can bring on a lot of questions! So we have collated some of the more commonly asked questions for you to read through.  If the answer to your question is not listed below, please feel free to send your question to us here.

Are Music Therapists qualified?

We sure are! Registered Music Therapists (RMTs) in Australia must complete a 2-year Masters program which includes 640 hours of clinical placement. That means every RMT has at least 5 years of tertiary study including their chosen Bachelor degree. In addition to this, we must be accredited by the Australian Music Therapy Association which is the peak regulatory body for all RMTs in Australia. To keep our accreditation, we must complete annual professional development just like all other allied health professions. 

What about Music Therapy Assistants?

Music Therapy Assistants (MTAs) at Kindred are either currently studying their Master of Music Therapy, or intend to study this when they finish their Bachelor. Each are carefully chosen for their music skills, dedication and knowledge of the therapeutic process. When an MTA begins work with a new client, the first two therapy sessions are personally supervised by Ash. Ash then writes the therapeutic program especially for that client, and the MTA will deliver this program on her behalf. 

All MTAs are required to attend monthly 1:1 online supervisions with Ash in order to maintain quality of care across the therapeutic journey. Ash is also in regular contact with the client themselves, and/or parents as appropriate. In addition to this, all MTAs are required to attend a monthly group supervision with each other and Ash so that everyone can learn from each other's experiences. 

Do I need to be 'musical' to benefit from music therapy?

Nope! You don't need any musical experience to benefit from music therapy. We will guide you every step of the way and you'll never do anything you're not comfortable with. We align our sessions with your musical interests, and if you have none, we will help you discover them. 

Is music therapy the same as sound/vibrational therapy?

No. Music therapy is an evidence-based and empirical allied health stream in the same vein as psychology, speech pathology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, etc. All our methods are backed by empirical research of the highest standard, and we are accountable and regulated by our peak regulatory body, the Australian Music Therapy Association and its Code of Conduct. 

Sound therapy is not a regulated profession. 

Is music therapy covered under the NDIS? 

It sure is! Music therapy and Art therapy are claimed under Capacity Building: Improved Daily Living.

Music Therapy (RMTs)

- Under 7yo: 15_005_0118_1_3

- Over 7yo:   15_615_0128_1_3

Music Therapy (MTAs) 

- Under 7yo: 15_008_0118_1_3

- Over 7yo: 15_053_0128_1_3

Can you teach me to play an instrument? 

We would only use music tuition as an intervention if it addressed a non-musical goal for the client as listed in their Plan/referral such as improved communication skills, social skills, mobility, etc. 

bottom of page